1. Hiring a planner is a must when planning a backyard ceremony/reception. There are many details that need to be handled and an experienced planner can make sure that everything runs smoothly during the planning process as well as the day of the event. A planner can also guide you in selecting the right vendors and to help keep cost down.
2. Whether moving everyone inside in case of bad weather or renting a tent, having a plan B in place is a must.
3. Where will your guest park? Do you have the space to accommodate parking for 50-200 guests? Consider off site parking and renting shuttles to bring guest back and forth to wedding.
4. Renting port a potties is mandatory when inviting a large number of guests. One bathroom per 50 guests is usually best.
5. The cake should be kept in a cool place or refrigerator especially on warm days and not left outside during the ceremony. It should be kept inside until right before the cake cutting.
6. Heat can be very uncomfortable for guests and damaging to your food. Consider shaded areas and/or tents for cocktail hour and serve cool refreshing drinks and appetizers.
7. Make sure to provide enough lighting if the ceremony and reception are held in the evening hours.