Wednesday, May 30, 2012

DIY Fun & Easy Decor

Anyone that knows me knows that I love crafts and am just about down for any DIY as long as time permits. With that said, I am working on DIY Yard décor for a two different events.


I found this really cute DIY project that I think will be fun and can easily be done in my garage. Here are some really cute pictures and instructions; I will post the original blog link at the bottom of this post.
Enjoy the pictures and the inexpensive project!


MATERIALS:

– Yarn

– School Glue

– Corn Starch

– Vaseline

– Dowel rod/pole for hanging

– Scissors

– Balloons

– Bowl for Mixing

*****

Step by Step INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Blow up Balloons:

I wanted various sized yarn chandeliers so I chose to incorporate a large punching balloon as my main focal point and added standard balloons for the surrounding areas. I only blew the standard balloons to approximately half capacity to keep as true of a circular shape as possible.


2. Assemble work space:

Place a long pole or dowel rod between two chairs to create a DIY ‘drying station’. I highly recommend placing a plastic trash bag or disposable plastic tablecloth underneath where you will hang the balloons. I initially began this project outdoors, however wind became a factor and I was forced to relocate (not easy).


3. Attach balloons to rod:

Tie yarn around the stem of the balloon and hang from the dowel rod. Be sure that the balloon is suspended and not touching the surrounding balloons.


4. Petroleum Jelly:

Cover each balloon in a light coating of petroleum jelly. This ensures that the yarn will not stick to the balloon once it is dried and popped.


5. Mixing & Dipping:

Mix the school glue (about half of the bottle) with approx. 1/2 cup of cornstarch and approx. 1/4 cup of water. I estimated these amounts and added more cornstarch and glue when desiring a thicker paste consistency.


Dip the yarn into the glue mixture, squeeze out excess, and begin wrapping around the balloon vertically and then switch to horizontally. Once you have covered a good part of your balloon, cut the yarn and tie to a surrounding piece. I chose to do this near the stem of the balloon so it would not be as obvious when hanging.



6. Drying/Popping:

Allow yarn chandeliers to hang for 24 hours in a dry, covered area. Do not attempt to shorten this process!

Next, pop the balloon (this is where I held my breath in anticipation). The yarn will also have dried glue crystals however they easily flake off when tapped.

Now your yarn chandeliers are ready to hang! I used mine for my Whimsical Winter Wonderland photo shoot and then hung them in my children’s playroom for a fun pop of color!


Original Post: http://blog.hwtm.com/2012/01/diy-tutorial-creative-yarn-chandelier/
Author: POSTED BY - Jennifer Sbranti - HWTM Editor-in-Chief
Photography of the final product by: SweetBee Photography

Happy Planning!